Making muslin, that's a great feeling

The muslin of Dhaka was lost 200 years ago. Traditionally, British bania cut off the fingers of weavers so that they could not weave muslin. However, under the Dhaka Muslin Rebirth Project taken in 2016, that tradition is being brought back again. At the beginning of this project, six weavers were able to weave fine yarn of muslin. Mohsina Akhter was able to weave the finest yarn . He was interviewed by Saddam Hussein .


Trace 71 : Weaving muslin yarn. How do you feel?

Mohsina : I'm making muslin, that's a great feeling. It is very nice to be able to weave the fabric that is not available in the whole country, the fabric that was once famous in the country and abroad. My work will bring fame to the country, what could be bigger than this.

Trace 71 : A few days ago, a report on your work was published in the international media. Have you seen

Mohsina : No, I haven't seen it. However, a journalist from a foreign media came a few days ago. I don't know if the report has been published.

Trace 71 : How did you get involved in the project to bring back muslin?

Mohsina : Speaking four years ago. Then I lived in Comilla. Staff were being sought for the project. I went and started working. In the beginning about 200 people like me came. But in the end only six survived. After trying for about two years, we were able to make muslin yarn.

Trace 71 : Only six people stayed, why not the rest?

Mohsina : Making muslin yarn requires preparation of both body and mind. You have to work with full attention. There is no way to move the eyes, the thread can be cut. In this way, there is pain in the eyes, hands and body. Fan (electric fan) cannot be run even in hot weather during work. Because, there is a fear of tearing the yarn in the air. If the hand is tired again, work cannot be done. Hands also need special care. Before going to bed at night, apply petroleum jelly on your hands, get up and apply lotion to keep your hands soft. One has to be especially careful about the three fingers of the left hand (thumb, forefinger and middle finger) so as not to get hurt in any way. I can't do my homework for this. But the joy that comes after making yarn is not bad to suffer.

Trace 71 : Made yarn before joining this project?

Mohsina : I didn't do it myself. But I saw my mother-in-law cutting the thread. I learned to make yarn with training in the project. The sirs used to say that the yarn would be very thin, like a spider's web.

Trace 71 : Did you know about muslin before?

Mohsina : I heard about fine cloth, the tradition of our country. But I did not see it with my own eyes.

Trace 71 : How much muslin did you weave in four years?

Mohsina : So far we have made a total of six saris with the yarn we have made. Work is underway to make 11 more saris.

Trace 71 : How many people are making yarn now?

Mohsina : I have trained 61 people. Although it took me about two years to learn, others were able to make muslin yarn in five or six months. In all, about 200 women are making yarn now.

Trace 71 : Who is in the family?

Mohsina : Husband, two sons and me. I'm fine. Both boys are in school. Out of salary, housing has been provided by the project. Travel fares are also paid from the project.

Trace 71 : Do ​​you ever want to wear muslin sari?

Mohsina : I wish (laughter) ... so what else can be worn, at that price! It costs three to four lakh rupees to make a sari.


Post a Comment

0 Comments